There are many different kinds of fencing to be had for both residential and commercial applications. While most fencing contractors such as Fencing Perth are able to erect a timber fence, they will also mention that there are both pros and cons to having one. However, they are a traditional fence that has been used a lot in the past, so it may be just what you want. Before making a firm decision, here are some pros and well as cons to consider.
Timber can be used to make many different types of fences, not just the usual picket fence. Another attractive option is the post and rail fence that has two wide rails inserted into holes in the fence posts. Such a fence is not for security or to keep pets and toddlers in. It is just to mark the boundary.
- A timber picket fence can certainly keep intruders out and pets in if it is high enough and if there is a concrete footing to prevent digging under it.
- Timber can be painted to match the colour of your home, creating a nice effect and a very attractive kerb appeal, especially if it really suits the style of your building.
- Timber is relatively affordable and is a renewable resource.
- It withstands a great deal of hot sun and rain if it is kept painted.
- It can be quite easily mended. If some is broken you don’t usually have to replace the whole lot.
- It is easy to erect.
- Timber tends to warp in locations where there is high humidity. It’s not suitable for wet climates.
- It takes a lot of maintenance to keep it painted or oiled so the timber doesn’t get wet and rot.
- It can burn down quite easily.
- It will break if a branch falls on it – a problem many other kinds of fence have.
- Children can climb over some types of timber fences.
- Timber rots if it rests against the ground for long.
- Timber is prone to termite activity, especially if it is not treated properly and it is touching the ground – which is the case with many picket fences.
A timber fence is not considered to be a high security fence, but it might be sufficient for your needs, especially if you don’t need to keep children safe, such as a kindergarten or day-care business would need to. However, it can be classed as a low security fence, depending on the style.
Having a fence around your business helps to define the boundaries and if you also have internal fences they can help to direct clients into the right place – and keep them from personnel only areas.